Why not add us to your favorite Social Networking site!
Digg  Del.icio.us   Stumble Upon  Facebook   Twitter  Google   Yahoo! MyWeb   Furl"  Windows Live   Bookmark  MySpace   Yahoo Bookmarks   BlogMarks

Haunted Cambridgeshire

These cases have long since become a part of our local folklore as the stories have been passed down through the ages from one generation to the next. The true factual basis of many of these stories has since been lost in the mist of time. The C.P.R.S has unless stated has made no investigation of these cases.

Of course we would be grateful if anyone with up to date information pertaining to these cases would let us know so that we could further instigate updated research

George Hotel Buckden

This 17th century Hotel in Buckden,which once stood at he side of the old great north road, would have been a popular coaching inn during its time. Many a weary traveller would have stopped to take in refreshments or a room for the night before departing onwards on their journey. Local legend has it that the most famous highwayman of all Dick Turpin often stayed at this old coaching inn and that his ghost occasionally returns to his old haunt. Maybe he is still on the outlook for his next unsuspecting victim.

Reputed past sighting have included:

Corpus Christi College Cambridge

This college which was founded in 1352 is one of the smallest and oldest of the colleges in Cambridge. Several Ghosts of its previous inhabitants have been seen over the many years of its existence. Dr Butts, vice chancellor of the university (Master 1626) committed suicide by hanging himself in the rooms above the kitchen in the old court. During times of crisis in the college his ghost has been seen. Elizabeth, daughter of college master (1630s to 1693) is reputed to have had a secret love affair, one day they where disturbed and Elizabeth's lover hurriedly hid himself away in a chest where the unfortunate man died of suffocation. Latter Elizabeth died an unpleasant death and is reputed to have haunted the rooms until they where converted into living quarters in 1825.

Reputed past sighting have included:

Caxton Gibbet

The building to near to the famous local hangman's gibbet was once a former inn and was most likely a popular meeting place for those off a morbid curiosity on the days of the public executions. A landlord off the time of disreputable character let a room for the night to three wealthy travellers. Its is reputed that during the night the landlord crept into the room to steel the possessions of the men but awoke one of them from his slumber. He killed the awakening gentleman and then to hide his dastardly deed he murdered the other two while they slept and then throw all three bodies down the well. His actions where soon uncovered and he was sentenced to imprisonment in an iron cage which hung from the gibbet outside the inn until he rotted to death.

Nuns Bridge Huntingdon

Hinchinbrooke house was built around the remains of Benedictine nunnery. Close by to the house stands an ancient stone arched bridge, which has now been by passed by a modern road. The bridge once took the main traffic out from Huntingdon and towards Brampton and the A1. Legend tells us that back in the mist of time a forbidden rendezvous had taken place on the bridge between a nun and a monk. The meeting had been discovered and they where both punished by death. Tradition tells us that the nun is still sometimes seen crossing the bridge.

Reputed past sightings have included:


The Tudor hall at Madingley wich had once been the home of Sir John Hynde and his wife Lady Ursula Hynde. Sir John Hynde had begun the construction of the building in 1543 but had died before its completion in 1550. His son Sir Francis Hynde took over the task of completing the family home. Apparently he had ordered the destruction of St Etheldreas church at Histon and used the materials for the final construction of his mansion. The Lady Ursula it is reported was so angered by her sons sacrilegious behaviour that she went into decline and later died.

Reputed past sightings have included:

Ferry Boat Inn Holywell

The Ferry boat inn reputedly one of the oldest inns in the country and one of the most famous of the haunted inns of Cambridgeshire, stands in the small village of Holywell close to the banks of the river Ouse. A local girl by the name of Juliet Tewslie fell in love with a local woodcutter by the name of Tom Zoul. Tom neglected Juliet and in her despair hanged herself in approx. 1078 on 17th March. Her body was cut down and buried where she had committed suicide at the cross-roads close to the ferry crossing of the river Ouse. It is reported that her lover Tom marked the spot of her grave with a large slab of granite over which the old ferry boat inn was later built. The tombstone of granite can still be seen in the floor of the inn to this day.

Reputed past sightings have included:

Peterhouse college Cambridge

One of the oldest of the colleges in Cambridge is reputedly haunted by one of its former bursars from the 18th century a Mr Dawes . In the past Staff have refused to enter the combination room where a ghostly apparition has been seen slowly moving across the room and disappearing near the spot where the body of the bursar was discovered.

© Copyright 2002-09 Cambridge Paranormal Research Society
All rights reserved. No material from this site may be reproduced in any form
without permission in writing from the CPRS
Web site best viewed at medium resolution